Client: Main site contractor
Location: Fellside, Cumbria, UK
Duration: 2016 - 2017
Contract Type: ME&I for new build CHP Plant
The newly built CHP plant provides critical process steam and electricity to the adjacent Nuclear Reprocessing Facility. The project to install 4 new steam boilers to provide backup support was originally started around 2001 by other Contractors, but unfortunately two previous attempts to complete the project’s Piping and Electrical & Instrumentation works failed due to their inability to attain the required quality Standards set by Nuclear site owner.
Following a competitive tendering process, Engenda were awarded both the mechanical and E&I works to finally complete the project to the required quality standards which included:
- 3D laser site survey and production of a 3D CAD model of the existing plant arrangement incorporating building steelwork, equipment, pipework & supports.
- The Deconstruction of approx. 3Km of previously installed pipework
- The procurement, fabrication, painting & installation of 3Km replacement Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel pipework & supports to Sellafield specification ES053932 including hydrostatic testing.
Engenda were also awarded the Electrical & Instrumentation works to finally complete the project to the required quality standards and this involved:
- Identification / proving & testing of the existing cabling installation
- Removal of defective cabling and containment
- Electrical re-installation, testing and commissioning of all cabling in line with BS7671 plus relevant containment.
- Installation and testing of remaining instrumentation pipework systems (Swagelok)
From award, Engenda quickly mobilised a project team to deliver the scope of multi-disciplined services and after a very challenging construction phase the project was successfully completed with the plant operational for the first time in over 15 years.